Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Revelations 2.0


So today was another one of those really happy days.  I think that I’m going to start having to be sad more often because no one’s allowed to enjoy life this much without some type of consequences.  Maybe my punishment was that one of my closest neighbors went back to Arusha for the week.  Along with him me took his daughter, Mehwish, and niece, Sumehra.  They were my favourite Tanzanians this past week.  We had a chips and chocolate and movie night and watched the Notebook, we hung out  and braided our hair while talking in fake Indian accents (they are Pakistani so I guess that makes it a little less culturally insensitive….) and baked brownies to deliver to the neighbors after splurging on half of the batch.  It was like being in high school and I LOVED it.  So, sadly, they left today and I spent the afternoon watching the Big Bang Theory and lesson planning for tomorrow.  My headmaster came over later and we talked about issues in the grant that I’m writing for the library.  It reminded me, once again, how much I love my school and how I have a wonderful headmaster.  He’s off again to Arusha tomorrow so I’ll be the one spearheading it as usual put I don’t mind put my excess of energy into something actually productive.  Speaking of too much energy, I went for a run today again and during which, I came up with a list of things that being here in Peace Corps has taught me.  So I thought that I’d share it.  It’s a mix of things about Tanzania in general and also about myself.  Here goes:

1)      Tanzanian women can carry more on their heads than I can in my heads.

2)      There is no limit to the number of uses that you can put a piece of fabric (khanga) to.

3)      It’s perfectly okay to laugh out loud at a movie when you the only person around.

4)      More Tanzanians carry cell phones than have reliable access to water.

5)      Paved road is a luxury, not a right.

6)      Running maintains sanity. 

7)      I would rather lose a limb than live without my Ipod.

8)      Deodorant is not an idea that has been invented everywhere.

9)      Reading books on the computer hurts your eyes, especially when they are insanely addicting.  Damn you, Hunger Games!

10)   Flirting doubles as a survival technique when traveling.

11)   Warm showers should ALWAYS be appreciated.

12)   Never underestimate the power of a cup of tea.

13)   "Disgusting" is a completely relative term.

14)   I’m pretty sure that my Tanzanian neighbors shower more often than me.

15)  My attention span is one hour (but for some reason movies just keep getting longer and longer).

16)   Chocolate cravings don’t care what country you are in…they are coming too.

17)   Cat's bee stings can swell and look ridiculous (and scary).
18)   I’m a clean freak no matter where I live.


19)   Ignorance is the most widespread disease.

20)   Tanzanians do not know, and do not need to know, about organic food.  All of their produce is organic.  And cheap.  Lucky lucky people.

21)   Dario Marianelli is phenomenal.

22)   And…Happiness is no one else’s responsibility but your own.

And that explains me.  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment